Thursday, December 10, 2009

I feel pretty... oh so pretty...

I've been wearing makeup for a week now... 7 days of concealer and foundation; lipstick and eyeliner...

Someone tell me how to get mascara off!  I scrub my face and eyes raw every evening and every morning I wake up with mascara smudges under my eyes.  What gives?!  I've tried the pre-moistened makeup remover clothes, I've tried make up remover lotion... nothing seems to get it all off.

My own personal challenges aside.  In the past 7 days, I have received 10 compliments on my appearance... "you're looking pretty today" "have you done something different?" "did you get new glasses? your hair is different? you look good today".  On the one hand, who doesn't like compliments? It's nice to know that other people find you attractive or that you've done something to get their notice.  On the other hand, it still burns that the reason I'm getting these compliments is solely because I am now made up.

It is becoming a habit though... Today, LD left for a short business trip, so I am 100% certain that I will not be seeing him tonight.  My rule is very clear that the only time I am *required* to be made up is in his presence...  and yet I dutifully did my makeup this morning, thinking of him as I did it.  Yesterday, there was some confusion between am and pm on my alarm clock and I woke up when I should have been leaving the house.  With piercings to clean and lunch to put together, despite all of the running around, I did my makeup before rushing out the door.  Sunday, I caught myself throwing on some concealer and lip gloss before going grocery shopping. 

I'm afraid of turning in to one of *those girls*... it feels like it won't be long until I will be like my sister - unable to let anyone see my natural face, dependent on this artificial beauty.

On a completely separate note, I "pleasantly surprised" LD last night when I called to wish him a safe and stress-free trip.  I was planning on leaving a message for him, in that he was at an event, but to my delight he picked up the phone.  I like 'pleasantly surprising' him... it means that I've exceeded his expectations, and that's a goal that I strive for.  There was lots of background noise so it was difficult to hear everything he said, but I secured a promise that he would let me know once he'd returned home safely.  It's not that I fear his travel methods, it's just nice to know when he's home. 

Sadly, the fates are conspiring against us, for after this business trip he has family visiting for the weekend, and he is away again for the beginning of next week, concluding the trip that he is on now.  It will actually be a week from today before our schedules will allow us to see each other.  I suppose this gives me plenty of time to get my baking done for the holidays.

1 comment:

  1. gross as it sounds, tissue with saliva on it gets most mascara off. Much cheaper & less chemical-y than eye makeup remover.

    There's a certain woman at my work who, without fail and without remembering previous instances it seems, complements me profusely whenever I wear makeup. It's... blah.

    Chelsea

    ReplyDelete