Wednesday, December 8, 2010

My Downtown Love Nest

I believe I briefly mentioned this in my catch-up post, but I have moved out of the HOIR. We determined conclusively that something in the house and/or neighbourhood was causing Alastair and I quickly had to find myself a new place to live.

I decided that if I had to leave my white picket fence suburban paradise, I wanted to live right downtown - within walking distance to work if possible.

Lo and Behold, I found a place with not TOO much difficulty.  It's a little small, and a little expensive, but I figured it would work just fine as a temporary abode.

I moved in November 15th, and am slowly settling in.  I'm almost there!  In the past month though, I've noticed a number of ... oddities... that make me alternately want to weep or laugh:

  • None of the electrical outlets are straight... they're all just a little big crooked.  
  • The entire place is tiled... but different tiles.  The tile on the floor, the bathroom floor, the shower, the kitchen backsplash, and the front hallways are all different.
  • Where the kitchen backsplash tiles had to be cut, they were not done so cleanly - in some cases broken pieces have been mosaic-ed in to place
  • Painting touchups have been done to the white walls with a slightly different shade of white paint
  • The sole closet has two bars running perpendicular to the sliding door, not parallel
  • There is a large fridge with ice and water dispenser... that is not hooked up to the water supply
  • The ceiling in the shower is actually lower than the water supply for the shower, so there is a small hole cut in the ceiling to screw in the shower head
  • The shower, which is a shower only - no tub, has a tap/spout system, and is positioned in such a way that it's impossible to turn the water on without getting soaked in cold water
  • Of the three sets of taps in the apartment, not one is the same.  The kitchen has a traditional set up (hot on the left, labelled as such).  The bathroom sink is backwards (hot on the right, labelled as such).  The shower is fucked up (hot on the left, but labelled as being on the right).
  • Speaking of water - my apartment is part of a duplex and in total there are 4 or 5 units, so there are a number of water heaters.  Mine is shared with the laundry room for the basement units, so every time my neighbour does laundry, I have no hot water.
This is just what I've noticed in the last month... I'm sure as I continue my stay here, I will discover new and exciting 'quirks' to share with you all.

Do any of you have any great 'bad apartment' stories to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment